“We had their Jalapeño and Cheese sausage at a diner in town and had to pick some up for the way home.”
Opa’s Smoked Chicken Strata, Mexican Style
2 cups Opa’s Smoked Chicken,cubed
10 slices sourdough French bread, crusts removed if desired, divided
3 cups grated monterey jack cheese,divided
2 cups medium salsa, divided
1 cup sliced green onion, divided
1 (15 ounce) cans black beans, drained and rinsed, divided
4 large eggs
2 1/4 cups whole milk
1 (4 ounce) cans diced green chilies, drained
1/2 teaspoon salt
fresh ground pepper
1. Place/fit half the bread into a 13 x9 inch baking dish that has been lightly oiled or sprayed with nonstick cooking spray (the slices can overlap slightly).
2. Top with half the cheese, half the Opa’s Smoked Chicken, half the salsa, half the green onions, and half the beans.
3. Repeat layers.
4. In a bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, chiles, salt, and pepper together.
5. Pour over top of bread mixture.
6. Cover and refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
7. Preheat oven to 375°; bring strata to room temperature.
8. Bake, uncovered, for 50-55 minutes or until set and bubbly.
9. Let stand 10 minutes then cut into squares;.
10. Serve with guacamole and sour cream.